Every spring, all over Strasbourg, the trees transform into clouds of pink and white. For just a few days, nature offers us this wonderful display of ephemeral beauty.
The blossoming magnolias are a sign that spring has sprung and that warm summer days are close at hand.
Both visitors and locals flock to admire the flowers, take pictures and selfies, or just sit down at the foot of a tree to enjoy the lovely springtime weather.
We’ve picked out 12 of the best places in Strasbourg to see magnolias in bloom – all fully visible in the public space:
• Place de la République: there are several magnolia trees at both the north and south end of the park in the middle of the square. This is definitely one of Strasbourg’s most beautiful and popular spots to see the blossoming magnolias.
• Quai Koch, below pont Royal. Down by the riverside, you’ll find an ideal view of Saint Paul’s church.
• Place Brant, by the bus stop, in front of café Brant. This majestic magnolia tree is the centerpiece of place Brant. The view towards the Palais Universitaire is particularly beautiful.
• Place Broglie, in the garden of Palais du Gouverneur militaire
• Parc de Contades, at the northeast corner of the park, not far from the passerelle des Arquebusiers. A lovely spot where you can enjoy the calm atmosphere of the parc.
• Parc de l’Orangerie, around Pavillon Joséphine
• Lycée des Pontonniers, visible from pont Saint-Etienne and the banks of the river Ill below
• At the back of Saint-Pierre-le-Jeune Catholic church, at the corner of rue Saint-Arbogast and rue du Général de Castelnau
• Outside 5 rue Fischart (the former Departmental Archives)
• The corner of quai Lézay-Marnésia and rue des Récollets, in a garden you can see from the street
• On the University’s Campus de l’Esplanade, between the Faculty of Languages and the Institute of Biological Chemistry
• Place de l’Étoile, by the main entrance to City Hall